Monday, October 3, 2011

A Psalm of Ascent and Commentaries.

Hey You! {Im into Jesus} {That's a song BTW :) }
How are ya? Well, as of this evening I have a message to share with you. If I knew everyone that would read this particular blog I would type it right... HERE.
I am hangin' out with Jesus this evening. {Specifically} I am doing my Beth Moore Bible Study ''Stepping Up.'' It. Is. Awesome.  Plus, this most recent one is my favorite so far....Even though I am only in week two-day two! We are going on a journey through the Psalms of Ascent. {Psalm 120-134}
Tonight I will have you read our current Psalm- Psalm 123 in the HCSB version.


Looking for God’s Favor
A song of ascents
1 I lift my eyes to You, the One enthroned in heaven.
2 Like a servant’s eyes on his master’s hand, like a servant girl’s eyes on her mistress’s hand, so our eyes are on the Lord our God until He shows us favor.
3 Show us favor, Lord, show us favor, for we’ve had more than enough contempt.
4 We’ve had more than enough scorn from the arrogant and contempt from the proud.
 
The focus of today's lesson was lifting our eyes to Jesus.
{If you would like to be an overachiever read Acts 3:1-7 and note what Peter said to the beggar in verse 4}
 
Hear are some commentaries on Psalm 123...and yes, I am a geek. I am thoroughly enjoying reading commentaries! {TOTALLY quoting in these. Do not sue me for plagiarism. :) }
 
Our Lord Jesus has taught us to look unto God in prayer as our Father in heaven. In every prayer a good man lifts up his soul to God; especially when in trouble. We desire mercy from him; we hope he will show us mercy, and we will continue waiting on him till it come. The eyes of a servant are to his master's directing hand, expecting that he will appoint him his work. And also to his supplying hand. Servants look to their master or their mistress for their portion of meat in due season. And to God we must look for daily bread, for grace sufficient; from him we must receive it thankfully. Where can we look for help but to our Master? And, further, to his protecting hand. If the servant is wronged and injured in his work, who should right him, but his master? And to his correcting hand. Whither should sinners turn but to him that smote them? They humble themselves under God's mighty hand. And lastly, to his rewarding hand. Hypocrites look to the world's hand, thence they have their reward; but true Christians look to God as their Master and their Rewarder. God's people find little mercy with men; but this is their comfort, that with the Lord there is mercy. Scorning and contempt have been, are, and are likely to be, the lot of God's people in this world. It is hard to bear; but the servants of God should not complain if they are treated as his beloved Son was. Let us then, when ready to faint under trials, look unto Jesus, and by faith and prayer cast ourselves upon the mercy of God
 
From Matthew Henry Concise Bible Commentary
{Found at mystudybible.com. Awesome website!}
 
How would our lives completely change and alter if we prayed to God the way we see Him when we are being convicted? I can think of several times when all I want to talk about is how good God is and about the situation I felt that He was very evident in. I can think of personal times when God is so real to me and so majestic all I want to do is sing. If we had that attitude every single day; every single prayer- we would change.
 
 
Beth Moore quote: ''He wants us to approach on His terms based on who He really is.''
 
So get this. God is in command over everything. I opoligize if that sounded like a kindergarten Sunday School lesson. {Hey, don't get me wrong...I love Sunday School. You get the point.} He is not just controlling your good things. He is controlling your trials.
Finish this prayer: Lord, You are the Holy One and You are alertly and lovingly enthroned over.....
 
I don't know what you are facing. You might be on a high with the Most High- or...not.
If you are not- You don't have to stay that way. Fix your whole being and face on our Jesus. Your circumstances will slide to the wayside if you do it sincerely.
If you are- I praise with you!! I'm so glad you are accepting Him and lovin' Him. I hope these words encourage you and convict you.
 
Upcoming Commentary written by Eugene Peterson.
 
''We are not presented with a functional god who will help us out of jams or an entertainment god who will lighten our tedious hours. We are presented with the God of exodus and Easter, the God of Sinai and Calvary. If we want to understand God, we must do it on His terms. If we want to see God the way He really is, we must look to the place of authority- {Beth Moore quote: "He cannot be unholy in any dimension of His authority''} to Scripture and to Jesus Christ.'' {Amen!!!}
''And do we really want it any other way? I don't think so. We would very soon become contemptuous of a god whom we could figure out like a puzzle or learn to use like a tool. No, if God is worth our attention at all, He must be a God we can look up to- a God we must look up to....The moment we look up to God (and not over at Him, or down at Him) we are in the posture of servitude.''
 
Who else loves the word servitude but me? Huh?
I want to be a lady of servitude! What about you?
Let's work on that posture shall we?
 
Beth Moore quote: ''Who else is so brilliant, so multidemensional and gloriously mysterious that you could spend your entire life studying and never grasp His vastness?''
Who else can proclaim that God is ''gloriously mysterious''?!
 
ONE MORE commentary; for tonight anyway! ;)
 
''The singer affirms his total devotion to the Lord, and he wants to obtain a vision of the divine presence.... His eyes are fixed on God's hands. To lift up the eyes is a gesture of deep longing. While God is enthroned in the heavens--a sign of kingship--his transcendence is not inaccessible. God's crown of helpers, like royal attendant, wait for a single hint before going into action.''
From The Eerdmans Critical Commentary.
 
Who else wants to be a royal attendant waiting for a single hint to take action?
''Take a moment... and sense Christ's gaze upon you, His Beloved.''
 
Needless to say, I am having a wonderful evening hangin' out in my studio/basement/office!
 
O.k. ya'll- I hope that those words might convict you; I pray that it might bless you emmensely.
Before I conclude this eveing I have to tell you a story.
Yesterday---yes, I got to see a skyline. Before we headed home from KC we drove around downtown to satisfy my longing to be there. :)
Also, yesterday I went to BibleQuiz. We have a group of 4 girls  with 2 ''coaches.''
Who knew we could have this much fun studyin' God's word?! In fact- I think we have to much fun!
Anyway, here is an example of our random conversations while quizzing. 
  Hebrews 2:99 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, now crowned with glory and honor because he suffered death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.  
 
After I had quoted that verse this is what took place.
Chloe: I wonder what death tastes like. (pause) I bet it tastes sour.
Audrey:  Personally, I think it tastes salty.
Me and Mariah: ((giggling uncontrollably))
 
Yes, indeed death for those who are saved tastes nothing but sweet. Neither salty or sour. :)
Was it just a thing where you had to be there or did I see a smirk come upon your lips? :) hehe.
 
Well, beloved ones I will finally conclude. I hope you had a marvelous time; I know I did!
 
Live with Servitiude!
Love,
Emilee
 
P.S. Yes, to answer the burning question I predict you have.
I just might ask for a commentary for Christmas. Or my birthday. :)
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment