Thursday, October 18, 2012

this is for you, part 1.

It was a Sunday. Last Sunday, actually.

We were in the next state over for my niece's second birthday. I woke up in my big brother's home in Missouri, traveled home in the mornin', accomplished some to-dos, Bible Quiz practice, and then... my evening with Makenna.



I hadn't watched Makenna on her own before. So, it was definately a quiet time of babysitting in comparison to our norm. But, after all, we would be lying if we said that we didn't miss these two:



 

Aren't they the sweetest? :)

I received the usual instructions that the parents give minutes before they walk out the door.
I tried to absorb everything the eldest two kiddos were saying 100 miles a minute and discover Makenna- now MOBILE- crawling like it's nobody's business and greet her, too.

As I turn around, Grant {He is not a stranger here. If you have been reading Peculiar Treasures for any length of time you know the name. :)} extends his hand with a maroon, thick + small, Greek New Testament with the words, ''This is for you.'' I bow my head, turning the pages, ignorant to all the adventures to come over those pieces of paper--even in minutes to come-- and say thank-you.

It was a Sunday. 3 years ago today, actually.

I went to Sunday school knowing that this was my last 24 hour period in good ol' Mississippi. It has been my last until this day 3 years later, unforunately. My last Sunday school class with the teacher that taught more than could be in any curriculum. She invested her life into me, she did. Nights spent sipping lemonade watching The Andy Griffith Show in her master bedroom, craft days full of paints + ideas, and lessons full of Paul's journey's and how to be a fisher[wo]man. Also, to be noted: Mrs. Khristi introduced me to coffee. Oh, yes. Enough said. Mrs. Khristi taught me Sunday school in that church of less than 70 in attendance... and sometimes-- only me.

  
We were going to be moving to Iowa the next day, on my Mom's birthday. While being excited for this new journey {That's for another blog, another day!} I was saddened while experiencing those precious last's. As class came to an end and whatever kids came that morning scattered she approaches me with a maroon, thick + large, study Bible with the words, ''This is for you.'' I open that book, while Mrs. Khristi points to her personal letter in the front, and say, ''Thank-you.''


It was 6 years ago this November 3rd. I was in that designated school room in that tiny town I lived in while in southeastern Iowa, hovered over that devotional book before a single equation was completed, that invited you into God's family. Meanwhile, through my Mama's words, teacher to one student, ''Do you want to become one of God's children today?'' The Holy Spirit gave me an ah-ha moment. I had heard it, I had wanted it, but I was finally ready to receive it. Jesus extended His arms with the words, ''This is for you.'' Much like the Holy Ghost goosebumps all over me now, I stepped over to our couch, also in the primary colored school room, and prayed. I cried, and cried, and cried. Although my hands were folded they were really extended acknowledging that deep red {can somebody dare to say maroon?} blood spilled out for me. Accepting humbly that Christ fought for me-- and that if I were the only one to accept, He would have still done it. Bowing my head, saying thank-you not knowing the weight of what I was doing, beginning my crazy joyful adventure with Abba.

You see, I may not remember what Grant said to me after the initial give 10 years from now, I don't remember everything Mrs. Khristi said, and surely I don't remember my entire prayer for salvation. We never forget the words or the action that screams this is for you, though.

All of these gifts, however small they ARE in comparison to Christ's gift, speak life over a girl with words of encouragment right up there first in line on that love language list... and I'm almost positive you know the second: Gifts.

What is there to do, but to bow our heads and say thank-You?

Christ's gift for me of forgiveness, acceptance, and countless promises.

These 3 teachers giving the gift of their lives, at times materialistic things, and the gift of
their friendship. Even if for one, because they have an audience of One.

I got treasure up in heaven; I got dirt all over me,
Em

P.S. Part two is minutes away. If you are left wondering-- there is a reason why! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment